#H#ogwarts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christmas

Merry Christmas!
It's a time of cold cold fun,
'Cas this season is sure to be the one,
Have a great Christmas!
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Senior Staff

Headmistress: Nocturne,
Headmaster: ShockBox
Deputy: TheJoker?
Deputy: Cookiedough505

High Inquisitor: Apply

SS Advisor: British-247
Heads of Houses
Gryffindor: Epiphone247
Hufflepuff: Gabrielt16
Slytherin: Tanz23
Ravenclaw: Jarademo12

Housepoints

Gryffindor: 10

Hufflepuff: 13
Slytherin: 15
Ravenclaw: 20

"Protego, A Defensive Theory" - by Gellert Gryffindor

Go down

"Protego, A Defensive Theory" - by Gellert Gryffindor Empty "Protego, A Defensive Theory" - by Gellert Gryffindor

Post  Tim Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:53 pm

Forward by Fabian Peverell
I was on a fishing trip with an old professor of mine, Gellert Gryffindor, when he asked me a question. "Would you write the forward for a book that I am writing?". I was honored. He was noted to be one of the leading authorities in the Wizarding world on dueling, and he had asked me. I had no idea what I was going to write. There was obviously not going to be a forward fitting of being worthy of this book, but here it is. Now, this book was published well after Gellert's untimely death, but it is not marred by it. He was a good man, and knew his stuff. This book is a definite must read for anyone that wishes to expand their knowledge of protective spells.

Fabian Peverell;

Introduction

Protego is a very well known spell. Almost every wizard or witch that has ever even picked up a wand knows this spell. However, very few actually know the origins or etymology of the spell itself. This book will help explain the theory of this spell, known as the Shield Charm. We will review the word Protego, the spell Protego, and its many different variations. We will also review how to properly use the charm in defensive means. Enjoy this book, and keep it as a guide. It may, one day, save your life.

Prof. Gellert Gryffindor

Chapter One: Etymology, Definition, and Uses

Protego comes from the latin word "protego". Its means "to protect". Although, the literal meaning of the word protego in Latin is "to cover up". The definition of this spell is that it creates a magical barrier that will deflect hexes thrown at the caster. The spell will NOT however protect the caster from any unforgivable curses. This is also a reason why those spells ARE called the unforgivable curses. Protego can be used for in variety of other cases. Although Protego is very useful, it is most useful during duels. It is not easy to duel someone if he or she is an accomplished shield charmer. The only problem posed during the use of Protego is that it has a one hit only counter. To clarify, a shield charmed by Protego can only take one hit, before it disintegrates. Protego can also not be moved. It must be recast if the caster desires to move to another location. The shield charm only lasts for 5 minutes, similar to the time of effectiveness of other spells. Another fascinating aspect of this spell is that is the witch or wizard that casts protego has the option of deflecting spells back, so that they may release their properties upon the original caster of the spell.

Chapter Two: Other Forms

Protego, in and of itself is a very handy spell, but it is also weak due to its one hit tolerance. This is why there are so many other forms of the spell. Here are some of the other forms of Protego.
Protego Totalum - The totalum part of the spell comes from, you guessed it, total. Taught to sixth years, they are another form of protego. They are slightly stronger, and are harder to cast. They require greater strength from the caster. They, like all other protego spells, cannot stop the unforgivable curses.
Protego Horribilis - Taught to seventh years, they are also another form of protego. They are used mostly to defend oneself from dark magic. They, like all of the other protego spells, cannot stop the unforgivable curses.
Protego Maxima - Arguably the most powerful of the Protego's. It however, even with all of its power, cannot stop any unforgivable curses.

Chapter Three: How To

To use Protego, one must, of course, have a wand (except in rare cases). This spell may be used non verbally, though even to use non verbal magic, one must be holding a wand. Simply, hold your wand up, and utter the incantation, "Protego". A shield SHOULD be released from the tip of your wand. There have been rare cases in which this didn't work for the caster. An example of this spell not working was when, in 1485, Hrothgar the Magnificent was caught in a duel with Solomon the Quick. Solomon sent a stunner at Hrothgar, which Hrothgar tried to counter. He said Protego, but was hit full on. The shield never deployed. Now, in professional duels, back then, the loser is killed. So Hrothgar was killed, but that is another tale for another time.[i]

Tim
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Number of posts : 328
Habbo Name : ShockBox
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Character profile
Character name: Fabian Peverell
Job: Headmaster; Chief Warlock;

Back to top Go down